Here is a small tool I wrote (well, rather hacked)
which might come handy for some of you. Sourcecode is included so you
might want to make it even fancier and do whatever comes to your mind
OutlookFolderExporter 0.3 Beta
What does it do?
Export an Outlook folder containing E-Mail Messages to a physical filesystem folder. Message by message.
- Outlook 2007
- NET 2.0 Framework
- Visual Studio 2007 (optional)
Someone asked me if I knew a tool or a way to do this. From what I understand he was about to share such messages using a Windows-Share. I know there are better ways to achieve this, provided you are using an Exchange-Server - but for some reason it did not work out for them.
Plenty, this is a really quick hack:
- Supports only mail messages (no contacts, appointments etc)
Can export only one folder (no recursion) at a time
- Developed and tested against Outlook 2007 (12.0) - no idea if this will even work for previous versions of Outlook. I suppose not.
- Won't cook any coffee yet.
You will need to know the path to your Outlook folder you would like to have exported. The root folder presumed by this applicationis the root folder of your default Outlook acccount. Beneath it you should have folders like Inbox, Contacts etc. To export all messages of the default inbox folder one would use "/Posteingang/" in the German version of Outlook. Must be something like "Inbox" for English Users I think. Another example would be "/Sent-Items/Archive" which would export the Archive folder which you have might created in the Sent-Items parent Folder.
Public domain, check the "License.txt" in the sources package for further details.
0.3 Beta: 2008-07-02 20:40 0.3
Inbox->first folder restriction removed - You can export any account folder now.
- Target directory might be created on demand.
0.2 Alpha 2008-07-02 14:00 - 0.2
- Added an installer (otherwise we are missing some interop-libraries)
- Repackaged, Sources will be also installed.